Meatless Monday: Red Beans & Rice with Spice!
- 1 bag kidney beans - soaked overnight, rinsed
- 2 Cups rice - brown, red, and black - anything but white!
- 2 Peppers - we used a green poblano medium/hot pepper
- 1 Onion - you can also substitute green onion and/or shallots
- 1 8 oz. can pureed tomatoes
- Hot Sauce
- Olive oil
- Boil kidney beans until soft (approx. 45 minutes) then drain and set aside.
- Cook rice according to package directions in an oven safe pot- we boil in homemade chicken stock instead of water for extra flavor.
- Sautee onion and pepper in olive oil
- Add beans to sautéed onions and pepper
- Add bean mixture to rice in oven safe pot, mix thoroughly with tomato puree, hot sauce (to taste), salt and pepper (to taste)
- Place oven safe pot in the oven at 350 degrees and bake for 20 minutes, covered.
Remove from oven, serve and please the crowd!
You can add more veggies to this dish like tri color peppers and carrots before baking. After baking it is fun to add fresh cilantro, avocado cut into cubes, steamed or sautéed greens to kick up the veggie content.